Table of Contents
Brazilian human hair has become an increasingly popular staple in the Brazilian hair industry, coveted for its luxurious texture, shine, and versatility. This indulgent hair type has gained recognition through its frequent use by celebrities and has become a favorite for Brazilian hair extensions, wigs, and more.
This guide will provide a comprehensive overview of 100% Brazilian human hair, its unique properties, proper care and styling methods, trending Brazilian hair styles, and where to buy authentic, high-quality Brazilian hair. Whether you’re looking to purchase your first Brazilian human hair product or are a veteran looking to revitalize your current stash, this guide will equip you with unparalleled insights into this indulgent hair type.
II. Understanding 100% Brazilian Human Hair
What is 100% Brazilian Human Hair?
100% Brazilian human hair comes from (you guessed it) Brazil and is donated by women in the region. It has become widely popular for the following characteristics:
- Smooth, soft texture that blends seamlessly with natural hair
- Shiny, lustrous appearance that resembles salon-finished hair
- Durable and resistant to tangled
- Absorbs moisture well and can be easily styled and colored
Brazilian human hair comes in three main textures:
Straight – Very smooth, with no wave or curl. Difficult to tangle. See brazilian straight hair guide.
Wavy – Soft S-shaped waves adding volume and bounce.
Curly – Ringlets ranging from loose spirals to tight coils. See Brazilian curly hair guide.
The variety of textures makes Brazilian hair extremely versatile for achieving different styles.
What Makes Brazilian Hair Unique?
Brazilian hair stands out for its soft, silky feel and ability to mimic relaxed or naturally straight hair textures seamlessly. Key advantages include:
- Withstands heat from flat irons and curling wands exceptionally well
- Absorbs and reflects light for a brilliant shine
- Dries relatively fast after washing
- Resilient to breakage and split ends
- Styles easily with products for Brazilian hair due to smooth cuticle
When cared for properly, Brazilian hair is durable, luxurious, and mimics relaxed African American hair beautifully.
III. Authenticity Check: Identifying Real Brazilian Hair
Indicators of Authenticity
With the popularity of Brazilian hair, fake knockoffs have flooded the market. Here are reliable ways to discern real Brazilian hair:
- Softness – Authentic hair feels very smooth and silk-like to the touch. Synthetic fibers feel coarse and plasticky.
- Shine – Real hair has a natural luminosity. Artificial shine is glassy and artificial looking.
- Absorbency – Brazilian hair readily absorbs moisture. Fakes repel water and do not hold onto conditioning products well.
- Movement – Genuine hair moves fluidly and bounces back readily. Faux hair looks stiff.
- Burn test – Singe a few strands. Real hair burns briefly and smells like burnt hair. Synthetic melts and smells like burning plastic.
Follow these tips to avoid counterfeit Brazilian hair products:
- Only buy from reputable vendors with positive reviews. Research before purchasing!
- Inspect hair closely upon arrival – look for split ends, uneven coloring, pungent chemical smells.
- Check country of origin – Brazilian hair likely comes from Brazil or neighboring countries. Be wary of sellers listing other origins.
- Know the market rates – extremely cheap deals are usually too good to be true.
IV. Types of Brazilian Human Hair Products
Brazilian hair is used to make various hair additions and wigs. Let’s explore the most popular options:
Brazilian Hair Extensions
- Strands of natural hair that are clipped, glued, or sewn into the hair
- Available in wefts, tapes, clip-ins, and pre-bonded tips
- Allow you to add length, volume, highlights, and curls without damage
- Tape-ins: Flat strips with tape attached to bond to sections of natural hair
- Clip-ins: Sections with clips to quickly clip in and remove
- I-tips: Keratin-bonding pre-attached to create seamless look
- Add fullness and length instantly
- Easy to clip in and remove
- Can be re-used if cared for
- Wide variety of colors and textures
- Can feel heavy if hair is very thick or long
- Need to be removed at night and re-clipped each morning
- Can damage natural hair if attached improperly or too tightly
Brazilian Human Hair Wigs
Brazilian hair is used to make various wig types like lace fronts, closures, and full wigs. See Brazilian hair wig guide.
- Lace front: Lace fabric stretched over front hairline for natural look
- 360 lace wig: Lace stretches fully around perimeter and nape of neck
- Full wig: No lace, just wefts sewn into wig cap
- Headband wig: Features stretchy headband with adjustable Velcro strap
Styling and Care:
- Treat gently – finger comb rather than harsh brushing
- Wash 1-2 times per month with sulfate-free shampoo
- Air dry naturally – avoid direct heat
- Store on wig stand or mannequin head to retain shape
By caring for the hair properly, a human hair wig can last over a year with proper care and minimal shedding.
V. Caring for Your Brazilian Hair
Proper care is crucial for keeping Brazilian hair looking its best. Here are some top tips:
- Gently comb through with a wide-tooth comb or fingers
- Refresh curls by scrunching in leave-in conditioner mixed with water
- Protect with a silk bonnet or scarf at night
- Wash every 2-4 weeks with sulfate-free shampoo
- Use lukewarm water and work shampoo gently through mid-lengths to ends
- Rinse thoroughly and apply a hydrating hair mask
- Let air dry fully before styling
Styling by Texture
- Blow dry with a round brush to increase smoothness and shine
- Flat iron if needed, using a heat protectant spray
- Apply anti-frizz serum or leave-in conditioner
- Diffuse or air dry; avoid brushing when dry
- Scrunch in gel or mousse for defined texture
VI. Styling Trends and Tips
Brazilian hair offers incredible versatility for on-trend styles. Here are some top trends right now:
- Bronde (brown + blonde): Dimensional caramel hues
- Chocolate cherry: Deep burgundies on darker bases
- Baby lights: Fine all-over highlights
Styles for Straight Hair
- Sleek blowouts with flipped ends
- Glass hair (ultra glossy) with finishing serum
- Face-framing layers and curtain bangs
Styles for Wavy Hair
- Loose beachy waves
- Volume at the crown and mid-lengths
- Temporary crimped texture
Styles for Curly Hair
- Loose, touchable curls
- Defined ringlets with gel
- Twist-outs and braid-outs
VII. Long-Term Care
Follow these tips to help Brazilian hair last longer:
- Avoid over-washing which can dry out the hair
- Use a pre-shampoo oil treatment 1-2 times per month
- Correct shedding with protein-bonding treatments
- Store hair in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight
Reviving Overprocessed Hair
- Deep condition with a reparative hair mask
- Avoid heat styling and additional chemical processing
- Use Olaplex or Brazilian Blowout treatment
- Book a rejuvenating hair spa treatment
DIY Hair Treatments
Hot oil treatment
- Warm coconut, olive, or argan oil
- Massage oil into hair and lengths
- Cover with a shower cap for 30 mins – 1 hour
- Shampoo and condition as normal
Apple cider vinegar rinse
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with water 1:3 ratio
- Rinse through clean, conditioned hair
- Helps restore pH balance
VIII. Choosing the Right Products
Invest in high-quality Brazilian hair products designed for processed or chemically-treated hair. Here are top recommendations:
Shampoos and Conditioners
- Olaplex No.4 and No.5 Shampoo and Conditioner
- Kerastase Discipline Sulfate-Free Smoothing Shampoo
- Moroccanoil Sulfate-Free Shampoo and Conditioner
- Living Proof No Frizz Nourishing Styling
Having the right tools can make styling and caring for Brazilian hair much easier:
- Wide-tooth comb: Detangles gently
- Denman brush: Defines curls
- Low heat flat iron: Safely smooths hair
- Diffuser attachment: Enhances natural texture
- Microfiber towel: Minimizes friction and frizz
Reviews of Top Products
Olaplex Hair Perfector No.3
- Repairs damaged and over-processed hair
- Smooths frizz and flyaways
- Makes hair softer and shinier
- Can be used as an occasional treatment or added to shampoo
Design Essentials Almond & Avocado Curl Enhancing Mousse
- Defines curls and reduces frizz on curly textures
- Lightweight formula doesn’t weigh hair down
- Infused with nourishing oils for added moisture
Kérastase Elixir Ultime L’Huile Original Hair Oil
- Reduces frizz and seals in moisture
- Protects against heat damage
- Leaves hair incredibly soft and manageable
- Versatile on all hair types and textures
How often should I wash Brazilian hair extensions or wigs?
Wash every 2-4 weeks with a sulfate-free shampoo. Over-washing causes dryness and tangling.
What’s the best way to prep hair before installing a sew-in?
Deep condition the natural hair first, then wash, detangle, and blow dry before installation.
Can I curl or straighten Brazilian hair?
Yes! Brazilian hair is very versatile. Use a heat protectant and style away.
Should I cut the lace off hair closures?
No, the lace should be placed directly against your hairline. Trim only the excess lace around the perimeter.
How can I make my Brazilian hair last longer?
Avoid overstyling, use a detangling spray, sleep on a silk pillowcase, and store properly when not worn.
X. Where to Buy High-Quality Brazilian Hair
- Mayvenn – Wide selection of textures, wig types, accessories
- Simply Wigs – Helpful customer service and education
- RPGSHOW – Specializes in high-end lace wigs
Things to Consider When Purchasing Online
- Check third-party reviews on Youtube or discussion forums
- Confirm return policies in case of issues
- Read item descriptions closely to understand exactly what is included
Local Beauty Supply Stores
Visit an ethnic beauty supply store in your area to see products in person. Reputable chains include:
- Sally Beauty Supply
- Beauty Master
- local black-owned beauty stores
Ask to touch and feel Brazilian hair samples before purchasing to assess quality.
Brazilian human hair offers a glamorously soft, touchable texture that makes styling a breeze. With proper care and maintenance, these luxe locks can last over a year, providing endless styling versatility. Avoid damage by using specialized products, tools and techniques.
Embrace the indulgence of high-quality Brazilian hair and unlock confident, show-stopping styles worthy of a diva. May your locks continue flowing strong and healthy as you conquer each day in beauty and joy.